Co-op & Developmental
OPG recruits Co-op students from universities or colleges for a paid work experience directly related to their field of study. We hire Co-op students during all three terms – Winter, Summer, and Fall.
You don’t need to be enrolled in a Co-op program to gain valuable work experience – you can also be hired as a Summer student at OPG.
For some student positions, we also offer 12-month Co-op/Internship opportunities. Learn more about these on our Internships page.
Why Consider A Co-op Or Summer Placement At OPG?
Many organizations don’t pay Co-op students for their work placements. At OPG, we believe in supporting students in many ways, including paid on-the-job learning, Student Scholarships, and our Student Program learning initiatives that provide students with opportunities to connect with others through our student social activities and student charity events.
Our Co-op and Summer programs provide an excellent opportunity for us to evaluate students for potential full-time employee positions upon graduation.
How To Qualify For A Summer Student Position
Summer students work on projects related to their field of study during the Summer term.
To qualify as a Summer student, you must:
- be enrolled in school full-time;
- have completed at least one term of post-secondary education at a registered college or university; and
- be returning to school full-time upon completion of your work term.
How To Qualify For A Co-op Student Position
As a Co-op student, your work responsibilities are similar to those that students might experience in their first jobs after graduation. You will be given challenging work, feedback and assessment of your performance, and you will earn an academic credit for your work experience.
To qualify for an OPG Co-op placement, you must:
- be enrolled in school full-time;
- have completed at least one term of post-secondary education at a registered college or university;
- be returning to school full-time upon completion of your work term or require the final Co-op work experience in order to graduate; and
- meet the eligibility requirements of your campus Co-op Program.
Examples Of Co-op And Summer Student Positions
There are plenty of opportunities across the province in Skilled Trades, Engineering and Applied Sciences and Corporate Functions. Based on current needs, there are more Co-op or Developmental placements in Nuclear and Hydroelectric than in our Thermal or Corporate Functions business units. The following are just a few examples of the many Co-op or Summer positions at OPG:
- Electrical Engineering Technician/Technology or Instrumentation & Control Technology – Maintenance Department
- Industrial Mechanical Millwright, Mechanical Technician or Mechanical Engineering – Maintenance Department
- Power Engineering or Stationary Engineering – Operations Department
Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Civil Engineer – Hydro Engineering Services
- Chemistry & Environmental Engineer – Thermal Engineering Department
- Nuclear Engineer – Plant Design
- Kinesiology/Ergonomics – HR & Employee Safety
- Computer Science – Information Technology
- Communications/Marketing/English – Public Information Centre
- Law & Security/Police Foundations – Nuclear Security & Strategy Support
When searching for Co-op/Summer positions, check each job posting carefully for any additional eligibility criteria specific to the position. Check our Application Process page to find out how to apply.