Choose Your Career
Do you already have an idea of what you want to do after high school, or are you still checking out your career options? Either way, here’s some information that might help you decide.
If you’re technically inclined and the type of person who prefers hands-on work, chances are that a career in the Skilled Trades would suit you.
Growth in the province, coupled with many skilled workers in Ontario now being at or near eligibility for retirement, is creating a workforce shortage in all areas of the Skilled Trades. For high school students thinking about a career path, this means lots of possibilities for a great career with a bright future.
Why Choose A Career In The Skilled Trades?
- Demand for skilled workers is high and expected to continue growing.
- There are many career choices.
- It offers a competitive salary, and apprentices start earning right away.
- Almost every aspect of people’s lives depends on the products and services provided by skilled tradespersons.
We hire post-secondary grads for a variety of Skilled Trades positions. In addition, we offer paid Summer, Co-op and Internship opportunities so that students can gain first-hand experience while they are in college. The chart below provides some examples of the Skilled Trades opportunities we offer, and will give you an idea of how you could prepare for a career in this field at OPG.
|Position at OPG||Highschool Requirements||Community College Requirements|
|Grade 12 Diploma||Math||Physics and Chemistry||English||2 or 3-Year Diploma|
|Nuclear Operator||X||X||both preferred||X||Stationary or Power Engineering|
|Mechanical Technician||X||X||both preferred||X||Mechanical Technician/Technologist or Industrial Mechanical Millwright|
|Electrical & Control Technician||X||X||both preferred||X||Electrical Technician/Technologist or Instrumentation & Control|
Engineering & Applied Sciences
We hire post-secondary grads from many different Engineering and Applied Science disciplines.
The chart below will give you an idea of the career options available at OPG, and of how you could prepare for a career with OPG in the Engineering or Applied Science field.
Why Choose A Career In Engineering Or Applied Sciences?
- New grads are more likely to obtain employment in their chosen field.
- There is a high and growing demand in most business sectors, including energy.
- There will always be a need for electricity.
- You can choose from a variety of disciplines and career avenues.
- Starting salaries for new grads are typically above average.
- You can make a difference in your community, your province and society in general.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- High School Math, Physics and/or Chemistry, and English
- Bachelor of Engineering or Applied Science (most disciplines)
Relevant University Discipline(s):
Since most disciplines of Engineering and Applied Science play an important role in the operation of our generating stations, graduates in most Engineering or Applied Science disciplines will find a variety of career options at OPG.
Possible Career Areas With OPG:
Engineering and Applied Science graduates have access to a wide variety of career paths in any of our business units (Hydroelectric, Fossil, Nuclear or Corporate), including (but not limited to):
- Station Engineering
- Operations and Maintenance
- Business Development
- Asset Management
- Project Management
- Inspection and Maintenance
- Chemistry and Metallurgy
- Environmental Science